Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Story so far...

I am really excited about this blog! This is the first time I am posting directly onto a blog, rather than typing out something , editing, correcting, reviewing and then simply copying the finished bit onto it. It's the first time I am simply letting my thoughts flow and typing it out as it comes directly onto the net. It's a bit scary; like posting some part of your diary out in public. But this is a journey I want to share, and I hope I can record what I learn as I blunder my way through this maze of application processes.

It's all new to me-- the application processes in International schools. Where I'm from, the most you to do apply to a school is send scores of the qualifying exam and fill up a form. Yes, there is the exam, the group discussion, and the interview, but the whole process of finding out who the candidate is and how he or she can contribute to the school culture, how he or she would benefit from the school; the essays, the resume: the works... I was intrigued, then fascinated, and now I am jittery. I do not profess to know myself so well as to answer these probing questions about my past , present and future. Which is probably how most people are when they start, but it is really all about figuring that out -- what I want, what I have to offer. Whether I get the admit or not, I know this is going to be really difficult -- and really exciting. It's an opportunity to figure out what I am and what I really want from life. It's not something that many people go though life knowing.

So where am I in my journey?

I have decided that I want an MBA. That was the first milestone. I want this. Totally and absolutely. It's not so much that I was shaky about it before, as that it always seemed an impossible dream. Then I realised that it was only impossible because I would not try for it.

I have cracked the GMAT -- that was the second milestone. I did break the magical 700 barrier at the first attempt and am pretty happy with my score. Preparing for the GMAT was something I did that proved to myself that "even I" can really stick to a plan and routine and follow it though to the end. I have come a long way from my not so responsible college days where routine and plan were just not part of my dictionary. I have learnt to put my mind and heart into something and resist the temptation to slack off. That's good to know... considering that it's something I thought myself pretty bad at.

I have almost figured out what I want to be doing ten years down the road after my MBA. Now this is the part that I am still working on. I know where I am looking to make an impact, but I don't have a concrete idea on what I plan to do. So many students change that life goal given the exposure and opportunities of the MBA experience. I know that there is something deep inside me that has been there since I was in school, that I have idly thought of once in a while without really reaching out for it. But can I make it my life goal? If I do , I don't think it will be that easy to give up. The mists are still swirling, and I am giving myself the time to think it through. I don't want my plans to sound half baked in my essays, but -- oh how fast the days fly by!!

Well that's it ... that's where I am. Now let's see where I go from here!

9 comments:

Deepak Chembath said...

Wishing you all the very best in your pursuit :-)

Ło-ren-so! said...

hey dude, best of luck and let's keep in touch!!!

Unknown said...

all the best for you.. nice to hear that you've cracked the gmat.. i'm jealous :-)

KK said...

Ah...steps 1 and 2 out of the way. Right where I am at now. Researching schools and doing the 'introspection' thing. Here's wishing you all the best! Keep in touch.

Deepthroat said...

Hello Seagull,
Thanxs for visiting... All the best in you apping.... We shoudl keep in touch. Will need ur help for reviewing my essays....

kpmg said...

nice to have enough applicant.

so where to?

Charu said...

Hey seagull, u r also from IT..huh..but female tht ll give u slight advantage..we ll keep in touch. All the best for next phase !!

seagull said...

Hey preet :-) The whole point of the "Blogging" community is to help each other. Would be glad to help out in any way i can!

Wannabe -- well let me put up my school list today :-)

And yes Charu -- am from IT too. Well the challenge for both of us would be to be not "just another IT applicant", right :-)

Seagull

Anonymous said...

:) Pretty nice.... Good info and good links to other bloggers too.. Am also an applicant for 2008 Fall.. Ctrl+D ing your page.. lets keep in touch
cheerio!!!